Saturday, January 10, 2009

Apature by Alvin

Apature is an event that happens annually. Apature represents Asian Pacific Americans and their success in art. Through this event, I experienced and learned countless ways to express culture and lifestyle. This week long festival allows different Asian Pacific Americans to present their talents and work. This is also an event where people with mixed ethnic backgrounds can experience the Asian American culture. Required as an assignment, we attended an Apature event and describe our experiments afterwards on blogs and such. Our group really wanted to go together but none of our schedules matched so I went separately to the rest of my group. I was supposed to meet up my group on a Saturday afternoon to attend Apature, but I have something pop up therefore I had to go by myself. =( When I got there, I was told that it was on the third floor, so I made my way up there. As I roamed the hallway, I saw tons of paintings and fine art. I was randomly pulled into an AA Hip-Hop workshop. I was given definitions of Asian America and the relationship Hip-Hop. This workshop made me realize Asians have commitment in the Hip-Hop world as well compared to any other ethnic group. I was greeted by MCs, DJs and what not, which really sparked my interest in music when this occurred. Aside of all the workshops there were tons of paintings that caught my interest. This was overall a very fun and entertaining as well as educational experience. Overall I Think it was a fun and educational event, especially when it is hosted in one of San Francisco’s hot spots, the mission. I personally do not like hanging around the Mission, but through Apature, it made me realize that it was not half bad that I thought it would be.

No comments: