Monday, November 17, 2008

My Experience on the Cultural Guerilla Invasian Midterm

When I first saw pictures from last semester’s cultural guerilla invasion midterm, I thought it would be easy, but at the same time, I was kind of hesitant. I know performing is not my thing. So when my midterm group chose to do skit, since we didn’t want to do fashion, we were all wondering what we could do to link struggles from 40 years ago to now. So we all decided to perform on Wednesday, but I personally feel as though that was like our run through. People, myself included, were smiling and laughing, and was yelling out irrelevant things. I thought we didn’t take it serious enough. The main problem was the whole laughing issue. So last minute, we decided to change so one person wouldn’t feel as though he was being attacked and being put on the spot, to the group being protesters. We decided to perform again on Thursday which was much better. We felt a lot more confident because we had the whole class there watching us, as to Wednesday, people walking by would just look over and just continue walking. Watching my group perform felt as if we were 40 years back. From the moment we stepped out of the building, began chanting “On strike, we gotta shut it down..”. It really felt as though we WERE on strike, we WERE living our past. Thursday’s performance was also much better because of the location. It was outside of Malcolm X. Much more people stopped by and actually watched both groups perform. All the protesters in my group voiced out their opinions about AAS classes being cut drastically and how it will affect everyone who is taking AAS classes. Watching all the groups video’s made me feel proud of our class and what we have become. We all put our hard work and effort into this midterm, and cannot imagine what we can possibly do for our final!

-Abby Burgos

No comments: