Monday, November 24, 2008

Restuarant Review- Bistro Luneta

Hey guys, it’s Abby. I’mma be doing a restaurant review on Bistro Luneta.

Bistro Luneta is a Filipino restaurant that is located in San Mateo, 615 3rd Avenue. Although it is mainly Filipino dishes that are served, there is an American twist to each dish that made me question if I liked it or not. I went to Bistro Luneta a couple months ago for my boyfriend’s birthday. We had lunch there with his family. This place was suggested to his sister so we decided to give it a try. We went on a Saturday. So I assumed it would’ve been busy, or at least had a couple customers other than us there. But turns out to be, we were the only customers there. The design of the restaurant is very kool, very modern. They have large pictures of Luneta Philippines hung on the wall. You can see the kitchen from wherever you are sitting. It is open to the public- so the whole time, I was watching the chef cook. The menu, in my opinion, was typical Filipino food that you would see in any other Filipino restaurant. But prices were a bit high. It was family-style, but portions were very little. When the food was first served, I seriously did not know which was which. The pancit looked like a special combo of chow mien, the bistek was a big piece of steak that probably could feed about 3-4 people, but in our case, it fed 7, which was not enough, but was alright. We also had crispy pata, which is a pigs hind leg, but is deep fried and flavored. Aside from those, we had chicken, which was also deep fried. Just like I said in the beginning, these dishes were typical Filipino dishes, yet had an American twist to it. In my opinion, they were very Americanized. The taste tasted very different. In all Filipino restaurants that I go to, I always compare to my mom’s cooking, because my mom cooks very well. Others suggested that she should open up her own restaurant, but never did. I don’t know how it is like during dinner, but I would like to experience it to see if it’s any different. Anyways, Bistro Luneta was something new for me. I enjoyed the presentation of each dish- they were very unique in its own way. And the service was excellent, being that we were the only ones there. I would suggest this restaurant to anyone who is down to drive to San Mateo and would like to try Filipino food in a different way, and wouldn’t mind the prices!

Bistro Luneta
615 3rd Ave
Unit D
San Mateo, CA 94401
(650) 344-0041
www.bistroluneta.com

No comments: