Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Rice Rockets

Yo, this is Abby. Today I’mma be blogging about rice rockets. I remember Irene telling us this could be a potential journal topic. So here it goes!

Rice rocket is a slang term that applies to Japanese made-sports bikes or motorcycles. The term comes from the origin of the vehicles, usually and most likely from Japan, which in their culture, and in every Asian culture, rice is important. And from the speed of the motorcycle, which is just like rocket. Most of us know the term as an imported Japanese car like the most common ones such as Toyota, Honda, and Acura, which are highly modified and customized within its body. The cars are usually lowered, has a body kit other than the stock body kit it comes with, large spoilers, lighting modification, changing the exterior paint and the decal signs, rims, and the loud mufflers.

Lately, I’ve been hearing the term “rice-rocket” as a stereotype for Asian men who actually drives rice rockets or just for an Asian man just because other people thinks that having a rice rocket is an Asian thing. I can say that is not true. I have a friend who is not Asian and has a rice rocket. His car is totally modified including turbo, which increases the car’s speed. I’ve also seen non-Asian drivers who have rice rockets for cars. I really think it’s because of the term, having the word “rice” in it.

I feel as though rice rockets started coming out after the movie “The Fast and The Furious”. Cars were more modified so they could be like the cars in the movie. I remember my guy cousin talking to me about fixing his car up. Not necessarily like the cars in the movie, but in a different way. I never really understood it because I had no interest in it. I drive a G35 now, and though all my guy cousins tell me to fix it up, I don’t want to. I’m fine with the way my car is now. In my opinion, I don’t need to do any modifications to my car. I have seen girls who drive rice rockets also. They have their Honda and change their exterior paint to candy pink or purple, even have matching pink or purple rims. At first it’s cute, but to me, it’s odd. They are very bright colors, and would easily stand out when speeding. I’ve seen rice rockets being used in street races. I have guy friends who fix up their cars on their own, and race them. I’ve always asked my one friend why he races. He always replies it’s the feeling it gives him, the speed, and knowing he is racing his own work. So in a way, it’s like showing off what he has done with his car.

No comments: