Sunday, October 19, 2008

Book Review- The Dim Sum of All Things by Kim Wong Keltner

The Dim Sum of All Things is a book I would’ve never heard about unless suggested to me. Assigned to read in class, a group member started reading it before I did and I asked her whether she liked it or not. She replied that she was enjoying the book, being that the setting was here in San Francisco itself, mentioning actual street names and familiar settings. As I was reading, I was thinking back in my mind if I knew where the locations were at, if I ever heard of the street names, which most of it I knew. Another reason why I liked The Dim Sum of All Things is that the main character, Lindsey, was a girl. I’m not being sexist or anything, but it felt like I can relate to her more. Being that I myself am an Asian American young woman living in San Francisco. It was a very easy book to read. The language author Kim Wong Keltner uses is very modern. It wasn’t difficult to comprehend. It really draws the attention of young readers, because it really is that easy to understand and go along with. Not once in the book did I have to read back because I didn’t understand something. The Dim Sum of All Things has a good story line of what a typical Asian American girl goes through- immigrant parents and grandparents, with a family that is based on unity and their culture. It was funny to read also! There were several times I had a good laugh because I related to it. Such as towards the end of the book when Lindsey invites Michael over for her family dinner and her father whispers to her cousin something about all white guys being named Mike now since Lindey’s cousin, Stephanie, her husband’s name was Mike also. Not that I have any intimate relationships with any Mike’s but I found that quite funny. Some things that I did not like about the book, as many can agree with me was the ending. The beginning of the book was very interesting! And as reading towards the end, it kind of dies down. After I read the whole book, I said to myself “That’s it?!” I think Kim could have done a better job coming up with a better ending. Another thing I did not like about the book was that there were some words in Cantonese that readers could not understand unless they knew the language. Most of the time, Kim included the translations, but not for all. It would’ve been helpful if all translations were there. And finally, something I would change towards the ending would to include what happens between Lindsey and Michael. At the end of the book, it makes you think- did they pursue their relationship? Or did they stay as just friends?
Overall, The Dim Sum of All Things was an enjoyable book to read. I personally liked reading the book just because I can relate to it so much. It is definitely a book I would suggest to fellow Asian American girls to read. I have a group mate who from the very first few pages of the book, despised Lindsey already. He says she is everything he is against in an Asian American Chinese girl. He says Lindsey was a typical ABC (American Born Chinese). But everyone has their own views and opinions!

-Abigail Burgos

No comments: