Monday, October 20, 2008

Book Review for Dim Sum of all Things by Leslie Lau

Dim Sum of all Things
There is a lot of stereotype for Chinese Americans. Dim sum of all things by Kim Wong Keltner’s answers most Chinese stereotype’s in a funny light read. This books tells a story about a girl name Lindsey Owyang, a twenty-ish year old receptionist at Vegan Warrior magazine although she is a “closet meat-eater”. Lindsey is a typical ABC, American Born Chinese, lives in San Francisco with her grandmother, Pau Pau. Pau Pau is an important character to Lindsey, she helped her discovers her Chinese Heritage during a China trip. Lindsey is pretty picky about dates. She usually dislikes white guys or “hoarders of all things Asian” but in the book, she falls for a white guy named Michael Cartier, a travel editor for the magazine. Pau Pau, dislikes the idea of interracial relationships tries to steer Lindsey in the right direction.
This book is more than your average Asian American story. Unlike the Joy Luck Club or Bones, this book is fairly short. Even though this book was a quick read, it gives a lot of details in the life of a ABC living in San Francisco, especially from a perspective of a women. Though I am also a Chinese-American, I find most of the things said in the book was hilarious. I especially like the portrayal of Pau Pau, it reminds me of my own grandmother. However I think Lindsey’s character could be more focused on how she struggles to find her heritage more than about dating “hoarders”. Surprisingly the ending was sort of dry, though it was pretty much what I expected. Although this book maybe in the same category as the Joy Luck Club, it does not compare to it. When I read the joy luck club, it feels like I am in the actual scene of the book. When I read this book, it feels like talking to a friend that complains about everything! Overall I would give this book a 3/5 because this book have so much potential that could be probably unleashed if Kim had another stab at it.

No comments: