Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Dim Sum of All Things Book Review

So after reading the book The Dim Sum of All Things by Kim Wong Keltner I thought the book was pretty interesting. I think what catches the viewers attention is how Keltner uses common stereotypes, realistic situations, and modern day lingo. Her style of writing makes reading enjoyable especially the witty phrases she uses and ridiculous occurrences like Lindsey's grandmother setting her up on a blind date with the g who liked singing karaoke. If the book can make me laugh it's most definitely a option for reading especially because I really dislike reading (I perfer learning hands-on from a friend trying to enlighten me with some factual shit to one of my teachers dropping crazy knowledge). This book hands down targets young teenagers like myself because the main character Lindsey Owyang is another victim of the uneasiness that first generation American born kids feel towards their foreign born parents. A lot of Asian Americans can relate to Lindsey giving the viewer a better understanding of another incite. Depending on the person you are, I feel like if you are open-minded you'd like the book. But if your so close-minded amongst your culture and don't approve of others trying to incorporate their background with the American culture you'd probably dislike a lot of what Keltner writes about. I feel her message is not to lose who are you in reality of fitting into another society in a comical sense. Not necessarily disrespecting the Asian American Culture, but the book is for folks with a sense of humor. As much as I hate the idea of grouping people into categories the steoreotypes were pretty funny. I really don't want to ramble about the plot of the story like the other book reviews because I feel it kills the whole idea of reading the book itself. But just to sum everything up, it's about a woman in her twenty's living in the multicultural city of San Francisco struggling to satisfy two totally different worlds.

--ria.
________________________________________________

The Dim Sum of All Things
By: Kim Wong Keltner

The Dim Sum of All Things follows the life of a young Chinese American woman named Lindsey Owyang. She struggles with her identity and the daily life she lives in with being an Asian. Lindsey lives in San Francisco in an apartment with her grandmother, Pau Pau. She loves her but yet doesn't quite agree with everything she says. Lindsey works as a receptionist at a magazine company called the Vegan Warrior and meets a guy she falls for. Lindsey comes across various people that make her question their intentions and her part it in. Lindsey seems quite typical and her story is relative to many people today. When I first started reading the book, I was drawn to how realistic the character seemed to be. It was ironic how she lived in San Francisco and visited places that I've been to before. Lindsey begins a journey to understanding her culture and her family values. I think many young readers would enjoy reading this book because her story is similar to many other people that have yet to speak about it.

- Angelie

No comments: