Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fashion

Hey guys, it's Ria and I just got home from class. I thought I'd write about the discussion we had in class today. I didn't feel like expressing my opinions @ the time, so I'll post it here. I just wanted to go into deeper meaning about one of our classmates saying the majority of Asian Americans dress urban. I would have to disagree with that. To be honest I don't think Asian Americans have one certified look that you can stereotype them on. Sub-culturally it can be possible. How he said guys in the sunset wear white jeans w/ black jackets and dye their bangs blond. I can see where he's coming from with that because a lot of Asians in my high school were victims of this particular look. As for the majority of us being urban, I don't know about that. Like what Irene said, maybe it's because our surroundings we all reside in the city. Of course being in the city the media's going to influence urban type clothing. I feel like he mentioned urban because it's probably the most popular amongst other styles here. And I could go on about many topics on fashion related or unrelated to the topic. Like I hate the fact that were classified by what we wear. When to be honest our style will always constantly change to fit the standards of modern time fashion. Even individuals sav enough to have their own style end up being like everyone else. As much as we don't want to admit it, but fashion will never be original in any sense because everything worn has some kind of history behind it in which it came to us today. How come we can't wear this or that just because we think it's sick. We always have to be classified in some type of group. And jumping to another topic it reminded me of a time I came across a girl who dressed a certain way because she thought "it was what Americans wore". And where the fuck do these people get these ideas of what Americans wear you know? It's the media that advertise clothes to make them look so good you have my grandma even buying that shit. So I was in San Jose and I met this Hawaiian/Filippina girl who was born in the Philippines, moved to Hawaii, and comes to San Francisco frequently to visit her boyfriend. So my brother's girlfriend ask her why do you always wear slippers with heels on them and what's with the bell bottoms. Straight up she said that's what she thought Americans wore. So my brother's girlfriend schools her on clothing that's in. And now she got the girl wearing high-end sandals with some skinny jeans. This shows you how people's sense of style is manipulated by some kind of resource. But yeah there's like some much shit I could say and I'm sorry how jumpy the topics are, haha.

No comments: